Habitat at the Capitol is an opportunity for Habitat homeowners and supporters from around the state to unite as advocates for safe and affordable housing. During the week of Feb. 15-17, participants will meet with one or two Oregon legislators (your representative and senator), depending on availability and scheduling.
Why should I attend Habitat at the Capitol?
- Meet your state lawmakers
- Share your story and what’s important to you as a community member
- Influence state policy
What does a typical legislative visit look like?
- Meetings are usually 15 minutes long and will be hosted on Zoom or a similar video conferencing service. Habitat Oregon will schedule meetings on your behalf
- You and other participants from your district will introduce yourselves, share your stories and talk about what’s important to you as a community member
How can I prepare for legislative visits?
- Habitat Oregon will host two training sessions leading up to the event (see below)
- We will provide a sample script, talking points for legislative priorities and a framework for sharing your story
- Each meeting will include 1-2 additional participants from your district and/or team member from Habitat Oregon
Other things to know:
- The week will also feature a virtual rally/lunch-and-learn opportunity for all participants
- Habitat homeowners/homebuyers will be compensated. We will ask you to submit a brief survey following your visit
|Jan. 19, 4 p.m. on Zoom
|Training Session 1: Event Basics: This webinar will cover logistics for the event, including meeting roles, flow and technology
|Feb. 2, 4 p.m. on Zoom
|Training Session 2: Legislative Priorities: A deeper dive into legislation that Habitat is supporting during the 2022 Session
|Feb. 15 TBD on Zoom
|Virtual rally/lunch-and-learn opportunity for all participants
|Feb. 15-17 TBD on Zoom
|Virtual visits with legislators: Meetings will be scheduled over three days to optimize timing for participants and lawmakers