We are angry, heartbroken and devastated. We cannot fathom the trauma our Black communities are experiencing. We commit to using our platform to speak out against the systemic racism plaguing our nation.
Racism permeates all systems and institutions in our society—including justice. For George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, Tony McDade, Sean Reed and many others, we must continue the fight for justice.
We lament the harm that Black bodies have endured for far too long in the United States, and believe that this harm diminishes our collective humanity. We stand in solidarity with those demanding and advocating for justice, echoing our friends at Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity:
“Sadness, grief and anger are all appropriate emotions. But resolve must be our motivator. Resolve to continue our fight for justice. Resolve to uproot historic, systemic and institutional racism. Resolve to further equity for all.”
We deepen our resolve to uproot the racist systems and institutions in our society. We confirm our commitment to learn from and elevate the calls for action from leaders of local, statewide and national organizations uniting for change.
Here are immediate ways that we all can take action:
- Seek out and listen to local Black-led organizations and leadership. Start with the Open Letter to Community by Coalition of Communities of Color Executive Director Marcus Mundy
- Know your history. Learn from Oregon’s racist past
- Learn how redlining and other forms of systemic racism continue to plague our society today
- Listen to Dr. Ibram X. Kendi share his insights into how communities of color are experiencing disproportionate burdens and risks during the ongoing pandemic and recession
- Commit to naming, understanding, and uprooting all forms of racism and White supremacy
- Be actively anti-racist in every facet of your life
- Speak up and know that equality includes you
- Support the Black Lives Matter movement and organizations on the front-lines
- Advocate for racial equity and social justice reform
- Register to vote
- Thanks to Habitat for Humanity Portland Region for sharing many of these important links and resources
Together, let’s resolve to build an Oregon where we all share the opportunity to thrive.
In partnership and solidarity,
Shannon M. Vilhauer, Executive Director
Habitat for Humanity of Oregon