We’re excited to welcome you to Portland!
Build Oregon is Habitat for Humanity of Oregon’s flagship event, where participants work alongside local Habitat staff and volunteers to build a home, spend time with Habitat homeowners and join community leaders to better understand local housing needs.
Thursday, Sept. 29
- 4 p.m. — Check-in available for participants staying at the DoubleTree (1000 NE Multnomah St, Portland, OR 97232)
- 6 to 8 p.m. — Welcome Dinner at Cully Central (4579 NE Cully Blvd, Portland, OR 97218)
- Meet your fellow participants and hear from a Living Cully resident leader
Friday, Sept. 30
- 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. — Team build at Habitat Portland Region’s Foster development (13445 SE Foster Rd, Portland, OR, 97236)
- 8 to 8:25 a.m. — Check-in at the build site
- 8:30 a.m. — Safety talk begins
- 12 p.m. — Build concludes; lunch is provided
- 12:30/1 to 3 p.m. — Caravan tours to Habitat Portland Region’s Cherry Blossom development (SE Cherry Blossom Dr and SE Main St, Portland, 97216) and and the Portland ReStore (10445 SE Cherry Blossom Dr, Portland, OR 97216)
- 3 to 5 p.m. — Social hour wrap-up at Mi Cava & Cocina (9722 SE Washington St, Portland, OR 97216)
- Connect with your participants and reflect on the event while enjoying heavy appetizers and a beverage of your choice
Build site details
- Please fill out the volunteer waiver and bring it with you to the build site: We will have print copies available at the welcome dinner on Thursday. Filling this out prior to arrival Friday morning makes sign-in faster.
- Getting to the build site: The site address is 13445 SE Foster Rd, Portland, OR 97336. The best side street for parking is SE 135th Ave. If you’re heading to the construction site from the west, the site is on the north side of Foster while 135th Ave is on the south side of Foster.
- Timing: Please arrive between 8 and 8:25 a.m. to sign-in and get situated. A safety talk begins at 8:30 a.m. We will work until noon, then eat lunch on-site.
- What to bring: Habitat Portland Region will provide hard hats, vests and any tools necessary. Please wear closed-toed shoes and comfortable clothing that you don’t mind getting dirty. Water bottles are recommended. There’s a refill station plus electrolyte drinks and snacks available on site.
For participants staying at the DoubleTree
- Address: The DoubleTree is located at 1000 NE Multnomah St, Portland, OR 97232. The hotel is 15-25 minutes away from the build site by car, depending on traffic.
- Checking in: Check-in starts at 4 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 29. Check-out is at noon on the day of your departure. Please keep that in mind if you’re leaving on Friday, Sept. 30. You will need to check-out before heading to the build site. The room will be listed under your name but is paid for by Habitat Oregon (room, tax and parking). You will be asked to provide a credit or debit card for incidentals ($50 hold).
- Carpooling from the hotel: For participants that want to carpool to the build site, tours and social hour on Friday, please meet in the DoubleTree lobby no later than 7:45 a.m.
- Casual dress: Participants are encouraged to dress comfortably for the Thursday night dinner, as well as the Friday afternoon social hour wrap-up event. We will head straight from the build site and tours to Mi Cava & Cocina on Friday.
- Media opt-out: Habitat Oregon will be taking photos and videos during this event. Please let us know if you would prefer to opt-out.
- Health and safety: There will be approximately 20-30 people attending each event. We ask that any participants who are not feeling well stay home. Guests staying at the DoubleTree may cancel their booking without penalty to Habitat Oregon 72 hours prior to the event. Participants should feel empowered to wear a mask anytime they wish, but they are not required at this time. Habitat Oregon continues to follow all local, state and federal health guidelines.
- Contact: If you have any questions regarding this event, email Lyndsey Summers at email@example.com.
- Cancellations: Should your availability to participate change, please let us know as soon as possible.